Jul 21, 2011

Fringe Benefits

Growing up my go-to Halloween costume was a Hippie and the starring element was my mom's long fringe vest in brown suede from the 70's. That thing was gorgeous (yet so not in style in the 90's hence its costume-worthiness) and I tended to default to this 70's era costume just so I could have an excuse to wear it. My mom used to rock that thing in its prime with her waist-long blonde hair and bell bottom jeans - stunning.

Fast forward to 2008 when I was in Montreal on business and obviously taking advantage of the much-better-than-Halifax shopping. I walked into a store and it practically jumped off the rack and hit me in the face: a long fringe vest in brown suede. I couldn't believe my eyes and I called my mom on the spot and said "You will not believe what I am looking at right now and is back in style". Upon my return I went to my parents house in search of The Vest which was stowed in the "Halloween Box", but unfortunately it had seen better days considering it had been the centerpiece of the Hippie costume, which was rotated between my two sisters and I. That Fall fringe was appearing everywhere in the form of clothing, boots and accessories and it has continued to hover around fashion ever since. Case in point: Ralph Lauren's 2011 Spring RTW collection.

Between the sweet 70's boho-vibe and the fun of wearing something that shimmies with your every move, I LOVE fringe and I will entertain it for as long as it wants to hang around.

Fringe Benefits
:: Pink dress : Phase Eight
:: Orange top : Ally Fashion
:: Blue top : Dorothy Perkins
:: Yellow boots : Minnetonka Moccasin
:: Green shoes : Jeffrey Campbell
:: Yellow skirt : Matthew Williamson
:: Black sandals : Koolaburra
:: Gold necklace : Lauren Hope
:: White purse : Volcom
:: Ivory jacket : Day Birger Et Mikkelsen
:: Brown clutch : Ralph Lauren
:: Pink/orange purse : Dior
:: Turquoise purse : Billabong
:: Black shawl/scarf : Cecilia De Bucourt
:: Purple clutch : JJ Winters
set created by me

No comments:

Post a Comment