Sep 22, 2011

French Toast Muffins

I'll start this post off by saying that I don't "do" baking. I love to cook because you can give-and-take with the ingredients and the recipe generally remains forgiving, whereas baking requires much more precise measuring and technical handling. Not being a "baking kind of girl" never fazed me much because deep down I knew if it was there - I would eat it (that's how I justified it in my mind anyway). So the other day I was flipping through the Inspired Magazine (the free magazine sitting at the end of Sobeys check-outs, which I suggest everyone pick up because it always has great easy recipes) and one recipe in particular caught my eye: French Toast Muffins. After looking at the list of ingredients (only 8, most of which I already had) and the preparation (only a few steps) I quickly calculated the level of difficulty as being super easy. What also caught my eye was that they suggested you make these in advance and freeze them individually for one-the-go breakfasts, which in theory is a great idea if you can refrain from eating them all in one day. With all that said, I decided to give them a go and I was more than pleased with the result. Warmed up and served with a cup of tea or coffee, they make the perfect mid-morning snack (or breakfast, lunch and dinner in my case). I've made two batches of these so far and am confident this will be one of my go-to recipes. 


French Toast Muffins

Ingredients
:: 3 eggs
:: 1 1/2 cups milk
:: 1/3 cup sugar
:: 1 tbsp vanilla extract
:: 1 tsp ground cinnamon
:: 10 slices bread, cubed
:: 1 cup frozen berries
:: maple syrup

Preparation
:: Whisk eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla and cinnamon together in a large bowl.
:: Add bread and toss until egg mixture is absorbed.
:: Add berries and toss gently to combine.
:: Divide mixture evenly into greased muffin tin.
:: Drizzle each muffin with maple syrup.
:: Bake at 375'F for 25 minutes.
:: Remove from oven and let cool.
:: Devour them in one day, or wrap individually in plastic wrap and freeze for on-the-go.
:: Reheat in the microwave: 1 minute if frozen; 30 seconds if not frozen.
:: Drizzle with more maple syrup before eating if you're into it.






all photos by me

No comments:

Post a Comment